When it comes to decorating a log home bathroom — one of the smallest rooms in the home — designers agree that color and coordination is key.
Although many of the popular log home colors are on the dark side, it is important to keep the log cabin decor light and bright.
This can be done with in several ways:
- Keep the counter and sink on the light and reflective side.
- Use tile rather than wood for flooring. (Wood absorbs light and reflects little.)
- Add sconces near the mirror in addition to overhead lighting.
- Use as large a mirror as warranted above the sink. Use more than one mirror.
- Consider lighter towels rather than darker.
Homeowners who enjoy one-stop shopping can easily choose a coordinating ensemble for the bathroom, which many decorating companies offer. From the shower curtain down to the soap dish, homeowners can choose from rustic lodge, stone, or modern ambience to pull the room together.
If there is more than one bathroom in the house, consider using the same motif in the adjoining room. For example, if the master bedroom has a Northwoods theme, using pinecones in the master bathroom keeps the look consistent and not overly busy. The same idea works between the powder room and great room.
In a children’s bathroom, consider using easy-to-clean and safe materials, including vinyl shower curtains and non-breakable plastic or resin soap dishes, cups and toothbrush holders. Other handy accessories include easy-to-reach towel bars, hooks and a small step stool for brushing teeth and a soap dispenser rather than bar soap.
Here are more tips for decorating large and small bathrooms.
- Keep it simple. Too many decor items can make it look cluttered.
- High-end lighting fixtures and faucets provide elegance without taking up space.
- Use reflective tile rather than fiberglass showers and tubs.
- Consider recessed overhead lights for a clean look.
- Pedestal sinks and claw foot tubs are visually lighter.
- A freestanding shelf unit or coat rack provides more space for towels and robes.
- Add a plant to the room for color and life.
- Consider a bench for putting on clothes.
- A mirrored make-up vanity with a seat keeps your personal primping private.
- Create a spa-like atmosphere with big cushy towels, rugs, large candles, and even a TV.