Six tips for maintaining the beauty of the wood in your log home.
1. Sweep only with soft-bristled brooms, and vacuum with a soft floor attachment—both will avoid scratches and dents.
2. Place rugs in entryways to collect dirt and debris that can damage wood.
3. Use a high-quality floorcleaning product (such as Murphy’s Oil Soap) every few months to clean the wood and restore its sheen.
4. Avoid wet-mopping hardwood floors, as standing water can dull or damage the finish.
5. Place glides under furniture legs to avoid scratches.
6. Apply fresh wax once or twice a year if your floor has a wax finish. (To determine this, apply drops of water in an inconspicuous area and look for white spots beneath the water. If there are no white spots, don’t use wax.)