Home Turf | Land Buying Checklist
Use this checklist as your guide to buying the perfect piece of land.
by: Log Home Living editorial staff
Does your prospective home site have the right stuff? How will the land affect your home’s design? Use this checklist as your guide to buying the perfect piece of land.
1. What’s your land budget? __________
2. What kind of characteristics does the land have?
______ Flat (first-floor entry)
______ Sloping (upper-floor entry)
______ Steep (walk-out basement)
______ Near (seen from private spaces, like bedrooms)
______ Mid-range (seen from gathering spaces, such as great rooms)
______ Far (seen from most of the rooms in the house)
______ Strong winds (sheltered areas)
______ Heavy precipitation (sheltered areas; runoff)
______ Extreme temperatures (shaded areas; limited glass)
______ Onsite (connect to house)
______ To property line (bring to site)
______ Off-site (arrange for access or work off the grid)
3. What kind of access does the land provide for delivery and construction?
______ Open driveway; ample parking (pre- and post-construction)
______ Working room for a crane (clearance from neighboring trees)
______ Materials storage (staging and storage areas onsite)
4. Will it pass a perc test?
5. Is there a source of potable water?
6. Is there easy access to public services?