Necessary? Yes. Utilitarian? Absolutely not. Consider your dream home’s powder room as the perfect stage for your style. Make it really rustic, gloriously retro, over-the-top glamorous or lightly whimsical. Use these tips to make your powder room a showstopper.
- All is vanity. Choose a vanity that suits your style, from rugged to contemporary, antique to mod. Don’t limit your search: Pieces like trunks, vintage chests or even industrial work tables can be repurposed to accommodate a sink and plumbing.
- Put it on a pedestal. Don’t need the storage or counter space a vanity can provide? Pick a pedestal sink instead. A wide range of sinks are available to help you express your style, whether it’s classic, contemporary or something in between. Because it takes up very little floor space, a pedestal sink can make a small powder room appear larger.
- Reflect your personality. Unless you truly must have the storage space of a traditional medicine cabinet, look for a distinctive mirror to set the tone.
- Light the way. In such a small space, light fixtures shine. You can install a ceiling fixture — like a sparkling chandelier — but be sure to plan for lighting around the mirror. Sconces on either side provide even light.
- Wall to wall. Don’t be shy: Bold colors work in these small rooms where you and your guests won’t spend a lot of time.
- Accessorize. Pick one “conversation starter” to display in your powder room: art you love, a favorite photo or a small collection.